March 6th, 2012
by Jodi · Filed Under: Training
Before we try to master the back side and create a lump that hangs off of the end of our spine, I think it prudent for us to go through some basic training to make sure we are all on the same page:
Squat, Deadlift, Lunge, Step Up
If you want to use any of these guys to make a better butt, you have to go low, the move must be deep and you have to go heavy. These guys prime you in your workout for other glute exercises so they need to be there. Over the next few days we’re going to go through a couple of different movements to understand what makes a great butt and these four guys are a great place to start.
That’s Kas doing a deadlift from the floor. First, she’s going light b/c this is a pic for something else. Second, she is on the way up in the move, she starts almost with bum to floor and third, she has great legs. You must go low to hit the glutes in these moves. If not, your quads will be the ones to benefit.
Normally we like to find a step that’s about 18″ high for step ups, but if you are going for the bum, you gotta go high. Here is a great place to start. The advanced level of this move would have your box about 2″ higher than this. You need to go deep to hit the tush.
This is a lunge leaning forward. Kas is at the top of the move. The most important part for you to see is that she is fully aligned while leaning forward. The only thing that moves on her is her legs. Her back knee will drop but those weights will stay right there–in line with the front leg. This will smoke your butt off. Your range of motion is small but your burn is big.
1) Learn the movement unweighted. I know you have been squatting for years, but if you can do it, have someone analyze your form for you without holding a weight. You’d be amazed at how you thought you had perfect form for all these years but you really didn’t. The thing I see the most is “toe lifters”. All of your weight sits in your toes and you do not sit back enough in the move.
2) Deadlifts come from the floor. This means your bum does too. I love the magazines with the workouts with the cool moves, but really—close the magazine. Grab a heavier than normal BB. Put it on the floor. And deadlift it for real. Drop your butt, keep your chest up, sit your weight back and go for it. Now this, of course, is after you have done #1. Please. If not, your knees could cave in, your chest could fly forward and this could get ugly.
3) Your knees could possibly hurt. What fixes knee pain is strong legs. What makes strong legs will cause knee pain in the beginning. If you have asked someone who is a professional and who you trust if you are doing #1 right and they say yes, hang in there then until you get stronger.
4) Start with two legs first. Before you try to go heavy or fancy, master #1 first and then master heavy. Once you have mastered heavy, then master fancy. Do NOT go from basic to fancy without going heavy first. What’s fancy? That “crazy new move” you saw so-and-so doing at the gym that you have no idea what it’s for or why they’re doing it. Or the favorite move of your favorite fitness model that looks so cool but you are not qualified to watch it, much less do it. Fancy is useless without the basics and even more useless if you’re not going heavy.
5) Do every variation possible under the sun. Just like I say with food, cardio and cheat meals: MIX IT UP. I know you love a particular exercise because it burns like a mother when you do it, but you have got to hit your butt from every flipping angle there is. Now these guys are the base exercises, we have a few more types to go through before we’re done, but there are so many variations of these that it’s not funny. The walking lunge is not the only exercise out there.
Food, food and more food…
1) The number one thing necessary in your diet for a great butt: consistency. Not perfection—consistency. You need to consistently get in the right food so that it may do its work in the back. This is what I said on Yin and Yang. This is what I have been saying forever. Stop beating yourself up over what you ate extra in the day and instead congratulate yourself for all the right things you got in. TRUST ME…this will pay off more than you’ll ever know.
2) Do not go starchless forever. Biggest mistake a girl could ever make. I know many who do it. You are shooting yourself in the foot.
3) Learn to supplement when necessary. When we first start out, we buy every supplement under the sun. About 3 weeks later we’ve remembered to take them once. If you have a ton of cellulite and unsightly dimpling, you will need to supplement. We’ll talk about that in an upcoming post, but until then, know that you’ll have to be intentional about this at some point but not forever—nothing is forever (see #2).
Take Stock In What You Have
Owning up to what you really have as an asset is a basic necessity of any physique athlete. What I see are two things all the time and both of them are ugly:
False humility: This is the girl with the hot body who insists she doesn’t have one. She’s on every fitness site looking for the thing that’s going to create a hot body when she’s sitting on a gold mine. I get it, we can all improve but that’s not what this is. She’ll beat off your compliments with a baseball bat and slice up all attempts to tell her she’s arrived with a machete but it’s not because she’s modest. Quite the contrary. But she can’t admit that to herself, let alone you so instead she mows everyone over in an attempt to keep the compliments coming.
Utter shame: This is the girl who may have great legs or nice abs or a great shape but may not be in the best shape ever. So she could stand to lose a few pounds but she’s not a “fixer upper” or anything. There’s clearly a great body under there and it won’t take much to do so. But you don’t have a chance to say that to her because she’s too busy beating herself down like a bad viral YouTube video. She’s disparaged herself more times in one conversation to you than anybody in her life has ever said about her. And she’s just getting warmed up! Listening to it can truly bring you down so you need to exit the conversation. It’s awful.
We are going on to the next phase of building a great bum tomorrow. We have 3 more days of this and lots more info. We haven’t even really started, yet. But before we can get into that super info and really explore our pin cushions, we need to appreciate what we have first. If we do not do that, then all of our training is a waste because we will never think that we have arrived.
1) I don’t care what you thought of yourself before this, but today, stand in front of the mirror naked and like what you see. Write out what you like—and only what you like—about your body right now. If you want, you can wear underwear—but that’s it. You are not allowed to have a negative thought about your body. If you do, you have to start all over again.
2) Figure out whether you are an utter shame girl or a false humility girl. You do not have to be either of them. I only point them out because they are the hardest to change. Anything else is teachable so don’t worry.
3) Figure out why you want this. I’m telling you now, if you want this just to look hot you’re wasting your time. You won’t make it. But if you stick an admirable goal on it, you’ll have a better chance.
Ok…much, much more to come. So many exercises, so little time. Woop woop!!