May 15th, 2012
by Jodi · Filed Under: General Health
Yesterday I introduced the three most popular conditions that I hear about when it comes to tummy issues and I did it in a very “basic information” sort of way. You can find a ton of info out there about them but most of the information is very general in that all the sites sort of say the same thing. Any time someone wants to tell me to “eat better” as a way to fix the issue, I tend to tune them out because we, on a whole, have already solved that problem. This then sends me on a hunt as to what may also be the issue or what may be the alternate remedy. The other thing is that I am not really interested in solving the problem with an Over The Counter drug simply because if we are working this hard to eat clean and exercise, an OTC seems out of place in our lives. We tend to want a natural remedy that reflects our more natural type of lifestyle. This brings me to today’s post. I am not about to give you a host of remedies, I think that would not be cool; But I am going to show you how detailed you can be about what you are going through and that it really benefits you to be in tune with your symptoms.
If you ever have the pleasure (I say that with a giggle) to speak with me, you will find that you cannot say something to me in passing and I just let it go. I have been told that I am a dog with a bone, worse than someone’s mother, a pitbull and so on when it comes to your health and what you think is nothing is typically something. There’s also no such thing as TMI in my book. Please…keep that in mind. I will ask you ALL kinds of questions if I think that there is something fishy going on. I always say this, and I do mean this, I am not a doctor. What I am is an air traffic controller and I am here to keep you from ignoring the big pink elephant in the room.
This is why I am about to provide the following two lists for you, because if you could, you would just ignore what your body is telling you and just keep trying to lose weight. But here is another thing I always say, ‘only healthy people can lose weight.’ If you are backed up or leaking like a cracked pipe, you can forget changing your body composition. Your body has priorities and healing is number 1. Not weight loss. You may think the occasional bout of constipation, diarrhea, gas or bloating is no big deal, but maybe you’ll think differently if you know it comes with other symptoms. The following two lists are different ways each of the 2 conditions can manifest in your body. Each bullet point is its own manifestation. You should only have one bullet point. If you have more than one, get to a doc even faster. The lists come from Prescription for Natural Cures by James Balch MD, Mark Stengler MD and Robin Balch ND, 2004.
- Going days without going and when you finally do it’s hard and dry. You also have sudden, noticeable memory issues.
- No desire to go at all and when you do it’s hard and dry. This comes with great thirst, irritability and you may have a headache.
- Chronic constipation with chills and clammy hands. You may also feel overwhelmed.
- Constipation with bloating and bad gas. Cravings for sweets are out of control and symptoms are worse in late afternoon. You feel better when you drink something warm.
- Constipation with a strong craving for salt and water. You may be depressed and also light sensitive.
- Having an urgent feeling to go but can’t. You may be irritable and/or feel overstressed.
- Constipation with PMS or menopause. Could be chilly, irritable and having a really hard time going when you do.
- Can go but it is work! Not coming out without a fight. May have chills also and you are generally lean.
- Back and forth between constipation and diarrhea. May have strong thirst for freezing cold drinks.
- Comes with rumbling and gurgling in the tummy followed by an explosion. Could be discolored and mucus filled.
- Comes with anticipation of a stressful event or eating way too much sugar.
- Diarrhea and vomiting together. You may be anxious, restless and chilly. There may be blood in stool. This could be food poisoning if the first time happening.
- Comes with extreme exhaustion and weakness.
- Comes with nausea.
- Painful diarrhea that’s accompanied by extreme sweating and spasms of the intestines.
- May just be watery but not fully diarrhea. Typically smells foul. You may be anxious and crave cold drinks.
- May happen after eating greasy foods or certain fruits. You feel better in open air than in a warm room.
- Burning, explosive diarrhea that smells like rotten eggs. You have extreme thirst for cold drinks.
There you have it. The TMI list of all TMI lists. But I want to tell you how necessary something like this is. Many times we discount the thing we’re going through as it’s all the same thing and it is not. So when your doctor, or someone psychotically detail oriented like myself, asks you questions you may not understand why. Or when you slap a general remedy on it but it doesn’t seem to help. Each one of these has a different cause and a different natural remedy. It is imperative to pay attention to your digestive system because just like your period, it is an infamous Town Crier ready to tattle on you at the drop of a hat.
We’re moving on. Yes. There is more TMI to be exposed. We’re a hot bed for conditions. Woop woop!